Pop Up Cinema
What makes Southside Film unique is the fact that there is no cinema in the Southside so films are screened in non cinema spaces and audiences watch films in places where they will least expect it.
We have screened all over the Southside (Battlefield, Cathcart, Castlemilk, Crossmyloof, Gorbals, Govan, Govanhill, Kinning Park, Langside, Pollokshaws, Pollokshields, Queens Park, Shawlands, Strathbungo, Toryglen) and we work with lots of local venues to bring film out into the community.
So far we have screened in a boat shed in the park, a tent at Pollokshields Playhouse, a scout hall, an empty swimming pool (Govanhill Baths), an old church (St Francis Centre), a school, a night club, a couple of bars (Rum Shack & The Bungo), a couple of local libraries (Langside & Pollokshaws), a camera club, an allotment, a garden, an art gallery in the local shopping centre (Art Village), Tramway, a couple of museums (The Burrell Collection, Scotland St Museum), in a National Trust country house Pollok House, Kinning Park Complex, Castlemilk Community Centre, The Pearce Institute, Toryglen Community Base, The Glad Cafe, The Glad Foundation… you get the idea, wherever we can put up a screen, we will.
The Southside of Glasgow also has the last remaining Wurlitzer Cinema Organ in Scotland at Pollokshaws Burgh Hall so we also screen silent cinema there with live musical accompaniment on the Wurlitzer in partnership with SCOT (Scottish Cinema Organ Trust).
All of our screening venues are wheelchair accessible.
Thanks to all of our screenings in the Southside of Glasgow. If you are interested in screening some films in your Southside space then get in touch by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Past screening venues:
The Bungo, 17-21 Nithsdale Rd, Strathbungo, G41 2AL. 0141 423 0023
Audience ready to watch short films, The Bungo, May 201
- The Burrell Collection, Pollok Park, 2060 Pollokshaws Rd, G43 1AT. 0141 287 2550
- Castlemilk Community Centre, 121 Castlemilk Dr, Glasgow G45 9UG. 0141 634 2233
- Exhibition in various cafes & shops in the Southside
The Glad Café, 1006A Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow, G41 2HG. 0141 636 6119
Seats ready for an audience at The Glad Cafe, May 2014
- The Glad Foundation
- Govanhill Baths, 99 Calder Street, Glasgow, G42 7RA, 0141 433 2999 and Transit van parked behind Govanhill Baths
- Hidden Gardens Tramway, (level access) 25 Albert Drive G41 2PE 0141 433 2722
- Hutchesons’ Grammar School, 21 Beaton Road, Glasgow G41 4NW, 0141 423 2933
- Kinning Park Complex, (opposite Kinning Park subway), 43 Cornwall St, G41 1BA. 0141 419 0329
- Langside Library, 2 Sinclair Drive, Glasgow G42 9QE, 0141 276 0777
New Victoria Gardens (allotments), Glenapp Street, Pollokshields, G41 2NQ
Pearce Institute, 840-860 Govan Road, Glasgow, G51 3UU, 0141 445 6007
Q&A You Play Your Part screening, PI, Govan, May 2011
- Pollok Ex-Servicemens’ Club, 111 Titwood Road, Glasgow, G41 2DG.
- Pollok House, 2060 Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow, Glasgow, G43 1AT, 0141 616 6410
- Pollokshaws Burgh Hall, 2025 Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow, G43 1NE, 0142 632 5811
- Pollokshaws Library, 50/60 Shawbridge Street Glasgow G43 1RW 0141 276 1535
- Pollokshields Playhouse, Albert Drive, reclaimed land opposite Tramway
- Queens Park Camera Club, 54 Millbrae Road, Glasgow, G42
- Queens Park Boat Shed, Queens Park